Applies to: Everyone
I'm trying to open IRM Information Rights Management (IRM) provides security for downloaded documents. When IRM is applied, documents are encrypted before downloading, and users must enter their email address and password to view the documents. Exchange managers can revoke access at any time.-protected files, but I'm getting one of the following error messages:
- Sorry, something went wrong opening Information Rights Management protected content. A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.
- You do not have permission to open this workbook because your permission has expired. Do you want to request permission from [email address]?
These errors could indicate that your computer's system clock is slightly out of sync with your actual local time. Windows RMS, the system component required for viewing IRM-protected documents, is connected to your computer's clock. If the clock is not correct, the IRM detects a conflict and displays an error.
- To verify your system clock's time, visit https://time.is.
- The site will automatically confirm if your time is exact or precisely how off (ahead / behind) your clock is.
- Adjust your system clock if needed and try opening the protected documents again.
- If the error continues, contact your internal IT team to help with the following:
- Use the Time.is site to confirm that your organization's domain controller is set to the correct time.
- Sync your computer's time to your organization's domain controller time.