Applies to: Everyone
I'm trying to open an IRM Information Rights Management (IRM) provides security for downloaded documents. When IRM is applied, documents are encrypted before downloading, and users must enter their email address and password to view the documents. Exchange managers can revoke access at any time.-protected PDF file I downloaded but only see the following message in the Log into Intralinks window:
Script Error - An error has occurred in the script on this page.
When I close the error, I see login fields that are improperly formatted. After entering my credentials, the screen simply goes blank.
This behavior sometimes occurs in older release versions of Adobe Reader DC.
Adobe Reader DC is the minimum required version that Intralinks supports for opening IRM-protected PDFs. And multiple release versions are available for Reader DC.
Option 1 - Update your Adobe Reader DC
The issue doesn't occur in Adobe Reader DC version 2022.001.2017 or higher.
To update your version of Reader, simply click the Help menu in Reader and select Check for Updates. The updater will install the most recent version.
Note: Depending on your access rights, you may need to contact your internal IT team to install the update.
- Open an IRM-protected PDF.
- The Login to Intralinks window should now contain text reading, Click on the link below to begin authentication process.
- First, check the Always trust this host box.
- Next, click the services.intralinks.com link.
- When prompted with an Adobe Acrobat access / trust prompt, click Yes.
- If a similar prompt appears again, click Yes.
- The Intralinks login screen should then appear.
- Enter your credentials to open the document.
Note: The steps above are a one-time process. The next time you open an IRM-protected PDF, the window will immediately present the login screen.
Option 2 - Update the security settings in your existing version of Adobe Reader DC
In older versions of Adobe Reader DC, certain security settings conflict with the Intralinks IRM document protection. If you are unable to update to a more recent version of Adobe Reader, you can adjust the settings in your existing version.
- In Adobe Reader, click Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced).
- Uncheck the Enable Protected Mode at startup setting.
- Set the Protected View setting to Off.
- Uncheck the Enable Enhanced Security setting.
- Click OK.
- Close Adobe Reader.
- Try opening an IRM-protected PDF again.
Option 3 - View the files in the exchange
If you are unable to update or adjust the settings in your version of Adobe Reader, you may be able to view the IRM-protected PDF files directly in the exchange.
Simply click the document name in the exchange or right-click the name and choose Open in Viewer.
The Intralinks Secure Web Viewer will open in a new tab and display the document.
If Open in Viewer is not an available option, the viewer setting is disabled on the exchange.
If necessary, you can discuss the exchange settings with an exchange key contact manager.