Applies to: Everyone
Adobe Reader DC is required for opening IRM Information Rights Management (IRM) provides security for downloaded documents. When IRM is applied, documents are encrypted before downloading, and users must enter their email address and password to view the documents. Exchange managers can revoke access at any time.-protected PDFs in their native format.
This article will guide you through installing and configuring Adobe Reader on your system.
Install Adobe Reader
- Visit the Adobe Reader download page: https://get.adobe.com/reader
- Uncheck the McAfee options in the More add-ons box (unless you'd like to use those additional features).
- Click Download Acrobat Reader.
- Double-click the downloaded file to run the installation.
- Follow the prompts to complete the process.
Set Adobe Reader as your default PDF viewer
In addition to having Reader on your system, you must ensure that the program is set to open PDFs.
- Click the Windows Start icon and type control panel.
- Select Control Panel in the search results.
- Click Programs > Default Programs.
- Click Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
- In the separate window that opens, scroll down and click Choose default apps by file type.
- Scroll down and locate .pdf in the Name column.
- Click the app icon or Choose a default to the right of the file type and select Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
- Select a PDF on your computer.
- Press Command + I.
- In the Get Info window, locate the Open with: drop-down menu.
- Click the menu and select Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
- Click the Change All button to retain the setting for all PDFs going forward.