Product: Intralinks Designer
Applies to: Managers and publishers
Using Intralinks Designer, you can create new exchanges using templates that have been set up for your business group, or you can create new exchanges by cloning (making a copy of) an existing exchange.
I want to
- Create an exchange using a template
- Create an exchange by copying an existing exchange
Creating an exchange from a template
Using Intralinks Designer, you can create new exchanges using templates that have been set up for your business group. The settings from the template will be used, along with any users, user groups, folders and documents associated with the template. Depending upon the terms of your organization’s contract with Intralinks, your organization may be billed for each exchange that you create.
To create exchanges using Intralinks Designer, you must have a business group membership that provides you with this right. Business group memberships that are allowed to create exchanges include member levels 10, 20, 40, 50 and 60, or coordinator.
When you create an exchange using Intralinks Designer, you are added to the exchange automatically and are assigned the highest available exchange role allowed on the exchange. For most exchanges, this role is Manager Plus. In addition, you are selected as a key contact for the exchange.
Your computer must be connected to the Internet to create exchanges.
- Click the New Exchange button on the The New Exchange screen appears.
- Using the Template list, select, the template that you want to use for the new exchange. The business group, organization and host associated with the template you selected are displayed.
- Enter a name for the exchange and a description of it.
If this exchange is used for Debt Capital Markets and a CUSIP number is associated with it, enter that number.
- Click Create.
The exchange is created, based on the template that you selected. Any documents, users and groups, and permissions associated with the template are added to the new exchange. Email alert settings also are copied from the template; these items can be changed only by an Intralinks employee. Contact Intralinks if you wish to change these items.
By default, newly created exchanges are set to the hold phase, but you can change this setting and other exchange settings. For more information, see Viewing and changing exchange settings.
Creating an exchange by copying an existing exchange
You can create new exchanges by cloning (making copies of) existing exchanges.
To create new exchanges by cloning, you must be a member of an active business group, and your membership must allow you to create new exchanges using the template that was originally used to create the exchange that is being copied. In addition, you must have one of the following roles on that exchange: Manager Plus, Hidden Manager Plus or Manager.
Note: If the exchange that you are copying uses folder permissioning, the exchange must have 2,000 or fewer folders. Exchanges with a larger number of folders cannot be copied if they use folder permissioning. Also be aware that duplicate folders may appear on your new exchange if the template used to create the original exchange included folders. For example, if the template includes Folder A, the original exchange that was created from the template also includes a Folder A. If this is the case, your new exchange will have two folders, one named Folder A, and the other named Folder A(1).
If the source exchange is used for Debt Capital Markets and a CUSIP or ISIN number is associated with it, that number will be used for the new exchange, as well. You can change it if necessary. For more information, see Viewing and changing exchange settings.
Your computer must be connected to the Internet to create exchanges.
- Display a list of all your exchanges. If you are working within an exchange, select All Items from the Exchange list near the top of the screen.
- Locate the exchange that you want to copy.
- Right-click on the exchange.
- From the menu, select Copy This Exchange.
- Enter a name for the new exchange and a description of it.
- If you want to base the new exchange on a template other than the one used for the exchange being copied, select the template you want. Do this if you want to copy content into an exchange with a different structure than the one used by the source exchange.
This can be useful for projects that are being transitioned from one phase to another in their life cycle. For example, Debt Capital Markets (DCM) and Alternative Investments (AI) clients might use this functionality when fundraising for a deal is complete and investor reporting begins, or when a loan is moved from primary to agency to secondary phases. (This functionality is available to all managers who have the ability to create new exchanges; it is not limited to DCM and AI managers.)
- (Optional.) Review the exchange settings (including settings for footers and splash screens) that will, and will not, be copied to the new exchange. Click the Details link to open the Exchange Settings Details screen.
Each exchange setting is listed on this screen, along with an indication of whether it will be copied. If the setting cannot be copied, a brief explanation is provided.
Note: If you selected a template in step 6, be aware that exchange settings that can be changed only by Intralinks administrators cannot be copied unless the settings have been enabled on the template that you selected. Any settings that cannot be copied for this reason are noted.
When you have finished reviewing the settings, click Close to redisplay the Clone Exchange screen.
- Select the items that you want to copy from the source exchange. Select from the following items:
- To send alerts to the selected managers and publishers, mark the Send Welcome Alerts option at the bottom of the screen. Alerts will be sent to other users when the exchange is moved out of the hold phase. If not marked, alerts will not be sent.
- Folders (including their permissions, if folder-level permissioning is being used)
- Documents, and their permissions
- Q&A categories, if Q&A is being used
- Business process configurations
- Naming conventions (Note: naming conventions are not copied to the new exchange if you selected a different template for the new exchange in step 6)
- Group member roles
Note for Debt Capital Markets (DCM) users: If you selected a DCM template in step 6, any items that are not marked will be copied from the template that was selected in step 6. In addition, custom fields and all exchange settings that can be set by exchange managers are always drawn from the DCM template.
You can select specific users, groups, folders and documents that will be imported. Use the checkbox to the left of the items you want to select.
Information about the items being imported (for example, notes, effective dates for documents, and descriptions) will be copied, as well.
If you choose to copy business process configurations or Q&A categories, groups will be copied automatically, as well. If you choose to copy documents, folders will be copied automatically.
Note that if buyer groups and collaboration groups are enabled on your source exchange but are not enabled on the template used to create the source exchange, all groups will be copied as exchange groups.
Also note that the following exchange settings must be enabled to import naming conventions: custom fields, effective date, document ownership and naming rules.
- Click Create.
You will be added as a member of the new exchange with the highest role that is available on the exchange. Typically this is Manager Plus. You also will be made a key contact for the exchange.
All the settings used by the source exchange will be used for the new exchange, with the exception of the Enhanced Security setting and settings that must be changed by an Intralinks employee. Custom fields will be copied from the existing exchange to the new exchange automatically. Changes can be made to the exchange settings as long as the settings can be changed on the original exchange. (Some settings cannot be changed on exchanges, or must be changed by Intralinks employees.)
You can use Intralinks Designer to change the splash screen and exchange footer information for the new exchange. For more information, see Viewing and changing exchange settings.
Documents and folders within the newly created exchange will display the date and time that the exchange was created as their creation date.
By default, newly created exchanges are set to the hold phase, but you can change this setting if you like. For more information, see Viewing and changing exchange settings.