Product: VIA Pro for the Web
Applies to: Owners and Editors
I'm trying to drag and drop content from my computer into the Workspace, but I see the following error:
There is a problem uploading this file. Folders and files without an extension cannot be uploaded.
This error appears for two reasons:
Most likely cause: You're trying to drag folders into the Workspace. This action isn't supported - you can only drag and drop files.
- You're trying to drag files that don't have a format extension.
While having files without an extension is rare, it does happen. In Windows, the files will simply display the Type as File (instead of Adobe Acrobat Document; Microsoft Word Document; etc.).
- This issue can occur if you save a file with quotations marks in the name (e.g., "File Name").
If dragging folders: To create a new folder on the Workpace where you can add your files, see Creating folders.
Alternatively, you can upload / sync local folder structures through the VIA Desktop application.
If dragging files without extensions: If you know the exact program that created the file, you may be able to open the file in that program and resave it with the correct extension.
For example - if you created the file in Microsoft Word:
- Run Microsoft Word.
- Select and open the file from within Word. If the file was in fact created in Word, it should technically open; if the file was created in another program, you might instead get an error message.
- Save the file again, ensuring that you select the appropriate file type and do not use quotation marks in the name.
- Confirm that the new version displays the correct file type and extension.
- You can now add the file to the Workspace.
- You will need to fix the extension on a file-by-file basis.
- If you get an error while opening a file in an application, it's likely not the correct application. If you can't identity the necessary application, you may not be able to open the file / fix the extension issue.