Product: VIA Pro for iOS
Applies to: Owners and Editors
The VIA for iOS app features built-in functionality that allows you to annotate non-IRM-protected PDF files. You can add notes, highlight text and add other editing changes.
I want to
- Add annotations to a file
About this task
- Your first and last name will be added to each of your annotations.
- When you finish making annotations and close the file, the changes are uploaded to the Workspace, and the annotations will be visible to everyone who is allowed to view the file.
- Annotations can be edited, moved and deleted by others. The name of any person who modifies an annotation is attached to the annotation.
- Tap a PDF file in a Workspace to open it.
- In the PDF window, tap the Annotate (pencil on paper) icon at the top.
- Make the necessary annotations using the toolbar along the left side (iPad) / top (iPhone).
- When you're finished, tap the (circled X) icon.
- Tap Close.
- When prompted to update the Workspace:
- Tap Upload to add the annotated PDF as a new version of the file.
- Tap Cancel to perform further annotations.
- Tap Discard to close the annotation window and return to the Workspace without making changes to the file.
- The annotated version is uploaded to the Workspace.
- Highlight/Underline/Strikethrough – Tap this tool and then drag your finger over the text you wish to highlight. To underline or strike through the text, tap it. A toolbar appears. Tap Type and select the option you want. You can use the toolbar to change the color and opacity of the highlight, add a note, and copy your changes. You also can select the tool you want by placing your finger over the icon in the Annotation toolbar and pressing until the options appear.
- Free text/Signature – Tap this tool to place text directly on the page; the text will not appear in a note box. To add a signature, place your finger over the icon in the Annotation toolbar and press until the options appear; select the pen icon. You have the option to add a standard signature (“My Signature”) or a custom signature. The first time you select My Signature, you will be asked to draw your signature. After that, you can tap the signature to place it in the document. Each time you select Custom Signature, you must draw the signature again; no copy of the signature is kept for you.
- Notes – Notes appear within a Note box, which is closed until you tap the icon associated with it. You can change the color of the note box and icon, and the shape of the icon, by tapping Edit in the Note box.
- Pens – Two pen tools allow you to make freehand drawings. You can use the Ink tool to change the color, width and opacity of the lines made by the pen tools.
- Eraser – Erase lines made with the Pen tools.
- Marquee – Select a number of annotations; you can then move them or delete them.
- Undo / Redo – Allows you to undo your actions or redo them if you change your mind.