Product: VIA Pro for the Web
Applies to: Owners and Editors
You can download IRM Information Rights Management (IRM) provides security for downloaded documents. When IRM is applied, documents are encrypted before downloading, and users must enter their email address and password to view the documents. Exchange managers can revoke access at any time.-protected Microsoft Office files from a Workspace, perform local edits, and save the changes. The IRM protection is retained on the files.
Additionally, you can upload the updated files to the same or a different Workspace.
I want to
- Make changes to protected Office files I downloaded, then reupload the files to my Workspace
- Edit IRM-protected Microsoft Office files in a Workspace
About this task
- Workspace owners can upload the IRM-protected files to any Workspace they own.
- If an owner uploads the protected file to a different Workspace that has IRM protection enabled, the target Workspace's permission / protection will override the existing protection (i.e., the users on the new Workspace will be able to access the file even if they are not users on the file's source Workspace).
- If an owner uploads the protected file to a Workspace that does not have IRM protection enabled, only users with access to the file on the source Workspace will be able to open it.
- Editors can upload a new version of the protected file to the same Workspace.
- Editors on the source Workspace can also upload protected files to other Workspaces on which they are owners or editors only if IRM is not being used in the new location.
Download and edit IRM-protected files
- In a Workspace with IRM protection applied, place your mouse cursor over an Office file.
- Click the Download icon and save the file to your computer.
- Open the file and make any necessary changes.
- Save the file.
Upload a file as a new version of an existing file
- In the source Workspace, click the New Version icon to the right of the file name.
- In the window that opens, select the updated file and click Open.
- The file is uploaded to the Workspace and will replace the existing version.
Managing Workspace files and folders, Time: 5 and a half minutes